Yes, folks, it’s noticeably speedier. Here’s how you do it on a Mac:
- Install Java 8
- Open Automator
- Choose New > Application
- Click Utilities under Library
- Double-click Run Shell Script
- Put this line in the script:
java -d64 -Xms4096M -Xmx5120M -jar
(change the path to indicate where your Minecraft.app is)
(this sets Minecraft to use at least 4G and not more than 5G)
- File / Save > MinecraftSpeedy.app (call this anything you want)
- Open Finder and do Command-I (Get Info) on Minecraft app.
- Click on the icon in the top-left and type Command-C to copy the icon. Close box.
- Find your new command (MinecraftSpeedy.app) and do Command-I (Get Info)
- Click on the icon in top-left and type Command-V to paste the Minecraft icon. (Close Get info box)
- Drag the new app to your Dock and use it instead. Enjoy Java 8!