March 26, 2015
20) out like a lamb
With nearly no Tidepool time in January and February, I reached a billable resting point in early March and resolved to release the long delayed Alpha 2. Crossing Pennsylvania by bus with the Moravian Choir on their Ohio tour, I dove in to fix the 20 holiday bugs.
The first ten were easy, giving the woefully mistaken impression that I was halfway there. As I trudged through the thornier issues, it became clear that some wholesale rewiring was needed. My months away had given me a fresh perspective, prompting new ideas for a cleaner foundation.
While never a good idea to make big changes to a “release candidate”, I deemed the risk worth it and ripped up the floorboards. First one major piece, then another, I went on a “refactoring” binge, all the while hoping the big release was right around the corner. After wrestling the changes to the ground, I fixed all but one of the holiday bugs and made a new release candidate.
Well, today’s “smoke test” wasn’t good. I found another 19 bugs! Not surprising given the scope of the changes, but come on! Nineteen steps forward, nineteen steps back.
Given financial priorities, I need to put Tidepool back on the shelf again, so March will end without a release. While in my head I know the code’s in a much better state, myheart feels like nothing’s changed in over four months.
And now more waiting . . .